Friday, June 20, 2014

Savory Tofu Steak


Hi peeps! How’s your weekend coming along? I would like to share with you another easy to do recipe, yet super healthy and delicious dish!

If you enjoy dining at Teriyaki Boy, chances are you’ve already tried their “Tofu Steak,” they serve it as an appetizer but hubby and I partners it with rice, lol. We just love it!

            It’s a popular choice for vegetarians as well, because it’s an excellent source of protein. Some say it’s also high in calcium and iron, great replacement for meat!


           
What you need:
450 grams firm tofu block
¾ cup flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 tbsp evap milk or water
2 cups tempura breadcrumbs
Oil for frying

2 cloves garlic
1 medium –sized onion
100g ground chicken meat
1 ½ cup shitake mushroom
2 tbsp Mirin
1 ½ tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp  vinegar
1 tbsp oyster
¼ cup water
1/8 cup sugar
Salt & pepper

 
What to do:

1.      Cut the tofu to your desired square size, then place a paper towel on bottom and on top to remove excess water (for 5 minutes).

2.       Dredge the tofu to the seasoned flour, dip in egg and cover with the bread crumbs.

3.      Heat a non-stick pan to a medium heat, deep fry the tofu for about 1 minute on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.

4.      On another pan, add some oil, garlic, onion and ground chicken, sauté for 5 minutes, stirring continuously.

5.      Put the rest of the ingredients, and cook for another 5 minutes.

6.      Arrange the tofu on a serving dish, top with the mushroom sauce mixture and sprinkle with green onions as garnish.

16 comments:

  1. Oh wow. That was easy. Let me try this once. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of Japanese food nor of tofu, but I must admit that I drooled over your recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried a delicious tofu dish in Malaysia that I might actually try and make this one. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I copied the recipe sis, and hoping to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This so awesome! The photo is appetizing enough for me, drooling??? Thanks for sharing the recipe. I should try this one soon. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a dish that I would certainly test out- try to cook. Must buy all the ingredients soon. I love eating deep fried tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my bestfriend also has a version of tofu steak. hmmm, will share this to her! it is much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love tofu so I will definitely save this recipe of yours. I asked Daddy to cook this for me, hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a fan of tofu but I'm planning to try it soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks good! I would love to try it so I can get back to healthy eating

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks good. I will try this dish one day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have eaten once at Teriyaki Boy but I didn't try this dish. Looks yummy and easy to cook though it's not that easy to memorize the sauces required.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ARg.. have yet to try this out.. I've seen quite a bit tofu steak over the week but have been too busy doing handmade noodles this week.. next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love tofu and we sometimes cook a similar dish at home. Tofu is not only cheap but is loaded with protein too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Until now, I haven't cooked this. Tomorrow sounds awesome, hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will try this one. Tofu is always in our weekly menu. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete